Posted in Sewing Projects

Totes cute totes

I scored an invitation to THE party of the summer. It is tomorrow and we will be celebrating two four year olds, who are both big fans of books. So I decided to make some library portfolios from Little One Yard Wonders. 

This worked out well since I have ordered a bunch of fabric online, where one cannot Feel the fabric that one is purchasing, so it is rather easy for one to accidentally order an adorable pattern and accidentally overlook that is it slub duck cloth or canvas. Not great for quilting or for kids clothing, but perfect for totes. I knew I’d find a use for these eventually.

I made a few modifications, as always, and because I had two opportunities, I had a lot of room on the learning curve to swerve around and be creative. Here they are: 

  

   
    
  So one fabric was not so wide as required and yielded a shorter bag with, in turn, longer handles. I ended up preferring that shape to the actual pattern, which was the blue peacock feather bag, and was too tall for a four year old, with short handles. A hard cover book fit perfectly, with spines showing, in each pocket of the shorter yellow God’s eye pattern (is that a god’s eye? I don’t know where I got that name. It looks more like a series of vaginas, but I’m guessing that is not the name of the motif). 

The book called for handles made of webbing, which is that stuff on tents and backpack straps, but I used this woven twill on the peacock bag and a rainbow jute ribbon on the god’s eye bag. I definitely prefer the twill handle. Seems sturdier, looks sportier. Totes cute. 

   And I love the denim pockets on that bag. Denim pockets on everything, from now on. Denim pockets on bags, clothes, quilts. Denim pockets for dinner. 
Overall, I think they’ll be a success. To ensure this, I stuffed each bag with a spiral notebook, some washable markers (curse Sharpies), an I Spy book in the interior pocket (perfect size) and some other terrific kid-lit finds. I did NOT find the Rules of Summer at the bookstore, but I did find a suitable predecessor in its genre, The Mysteries of Harris Burdick, by Chris Van Allsburg. A worthy substitute. 

These were well worth the effort, even factoring in that it was one million degrees in my sewing room (garage). And they prompted a trip to the bookstore, which (like Paris) is always a good idea. 

Posted in Sewing Projects

Something Different: an adorable apron 

All of my pieces are cut for the next round of awesome Moonrise Kingdom squares for my Wes Anderson Palettes movie quilt. Totally pumped to bust those puppies out, but a request sidetracked me today. 

Way back when I got married, a friend with amazing taste got me a fancy apron from Anthropologie, the kind with ribbon-lined pockets and rick-rack, etc. For all the baking sessions that I would have as a married woman (it sounds like I am joking, but I actually bake a ton. Once you’re legally joined to a person, you do what you can to cushion the blow of all your hidden flaws and caveats. I ply my spouse with lots of baked goods.) 

Anyway, my nearly-4-year-old saw me wearing it this morning (bacon grease), and wanted one. What kind of monster turns down a request from that punim?! Not this one. 

   She approved these fat quarter prints from the Petite Fleur collection. They are organic certified cotton. That is honestly less important to me than how cute they are, but while I sewed, I thought of how food-safe and earth-friendly this would be. 
I used the Casey Apron pattern from Little One Yard Wonders, a book I adore, and modified it a bit to fit fat quarters instead of yards. I also decided to make it completely reversible by adding pockets to both sides, and sewing the Velcro tabs on prior to making the straps, so the back of the straps would be nice and smooth, which I am honestly surprised they didn’t do in the original pattern. They usually think of every possible finishing touch. No matter. It made me feel like I made a contribution to the original, so it worked out. 

   Of course, like every clothing project ever, it took about twice as long as I expected. But the end results are sure to please my baking protege. 
   
   

Success!